my first mini series

4.15.2009



This is going to be my first mini series on Basic Bookbinding techniques and will last for 6 weeks. Expect a post on every Wednesday. You can expect to learn some things like what supplies you will need and where to get them or how to make a signature. I hope you come back each week and let me know what you have learned and any questions you may have. I will try to do my best at answering them. I hope you enjoy this first of many more mini series to come.

Supplies you will need


• waxed thread {I like to buy embroidery floss and wax my own using beeswax}
• needles {you can purchase these at your local craft store or even Wal-mart. Make sure to purchase a curved needle as well. You want pretty large needles}
• hole punch
• balloon {this will be used to pull the needle through the holes, when it gets tight}
• clamps {these are used for holding the signatures together or clamping down your finished book to make it tight}


• scissors
• pencil
• razors or scalpel {the best are surgical blades and can be found on e-bay}
• dull paring knife {this will be used to make deckled edges on paper}
• bone folder {this can be purchased at your local craft store, or online}


{photo from scissors.uk.com}

• cutting mat {I like these green self healing mats, like this one}


{photo from Talas}

• pva {this is a special book glue that looks similar to elmer's glue, but works much much better. It can be purchased here }


• paintbrushes of various sizes {I like to have one larger paint brush, a medium sized one, and a small one for details}
• Ruler
• glass jar or paper cup {I like to use a quart-sized glass jar for canning. You will use the cup or jar to put water in}
• paper towels
• newspaper
• waxed paper {The waxed paper will be used to keep the pages of your book from sticking together while putting on covers}
• patterned papers {purchase 12x12" sheets of patterned scrapbooking papers from your local craft store}


• book board or davey board {can use an old book from a thrift store if you don't want to spend the money on buying full sheets}
• tapes {these are used to make a book that is sewn onto tapes}
• book cloth {or use my tutorial here to make your own}
• paper {This will be for your inside pages. I like to order my paper from Mohawk . They used to give out free samples, but now you have to pay for shipping which is $12.95. Order their samples of Mohawk Via Vellum. It has a really nice texture. You will want 60, 70, or 80 lb text weight paper. Do not get cover weight, you won't be able to work with it}

• accessories {This will be for later on, but I like to have accessories that I put on my books. Like beads, flowers, grommets, eyelets, elastic, ribbon and even buckles}








Well, I think that's about it. If I forgot anything, I'll let you know in the post next week. So, go out and gather all of these supplies so that we can get started and make a super cute book next week. This is what we'll be making!




{mini exposed stitch book with three signatures}

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great Idea. I've been wanting to go take a book making class but haven't had the time. I love your blog and your work and will be coming back for more. Thanks for your comments over at the Blogging your Way e course on business cards. It was very helpful.

Anonymous said...

I love this mini series! It's really interesting and very detail! Thank you for sharing...have a wonderful weekend and love to you!